[GE users] flexlm and complex values

Fri Aug 10 11:00:20 BST 2007

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007, Colin Thomas wrote:

> Hi,
>

> We have been using the Olesen method for flexlm and it has been working
> fine - many thanks.
>

> We though have the case, where we have say 4 tokens of a particular
> feature, and at certain times we want to ring fence 1 or 2 tokens to a
> particular user (or group of users).
>

> If there a way in which complex values can be allocated to give userset?

Yes. Resource quotas allow assigning access authorisation on a
userset base. E.g. assumed there is in 'global' host configuration

       :
    complex_values license=4
       :

access to these four tokens can be controled with a resource quota like
this:

    {
       name         license_authorization
       description  Controls access to license on a user base
       limit        users peter,paul,mary to license=2
       limit        to license=0
    }

these rules tell SGE that Peter, Paul and Mary alltogether shall get
up to 2 of the 4 license tokens while anyone else gets 0 tokens. With
brackets

       limit        users {peter,paul,mary} to license=2
       limit        to license=0

each of these users were allowed two license tokens.

Alternatively also SGE usersets can be used. If a user set
"ppm" contains peter,paul,mary it can be used as a direct
synonym for these three users leading to:

       limit        users @ppm to license=2
       limit        to license=0

resp.

       limit        users {@ppm} to license=2
       limit        to license=0

assigning resource quotas on a userset base is doable with multiple rules.
With a userset "lh" containing Laurel and Hardy

    {
       name         license_authorization
       description  Controls access to license on a user base
       limit        users @ppm to license=2
       limit        users @lh to license=1
       limit        to license=0
    }

here two of the four tokens go to Peter, Paul and Mary and one token goes
to Laurel and Hardy.

> I have looked around, but see no obvious solution.

Obvious solution is to enhance Olesen-FLEXlm integration so that it
controls token authorization based on resource quotas. Until now
it controls just the total token amount by adjusting capacities of
global consumables. Having it in addition control per userset
capacities should be doable.

E.g. taking away the license token above from Laurel and Hardy could
be done with

    qconf -mattr resource_quota limit license=0 license_authorization/2

or, with limit names being maintained

    {
       name         license_authorization
       description  Controls access to license on a user base
       limit        name ppm users @ppm to license=2
       limit        name lh users @lh to license=1
       limit        to license=0
    }

giving the @lh license token to @ppm is as easy as this

    qconf -mattr resource_quota limit license=3 license_authorization/ppm
    qconf -mattr resource_quota limit license=0 license_authorization/lh

result is

    {
       name         license_authorization
       description  Controls access to license on a user base
       limit        name ppm users @ppm to license=3
       limit        name lh users @lh to license=0
       limit        to license=0
    }