[GE users] flexlm and complex values

Fri Aug 10 12:55:04 BST 2007

Hi Mark,

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007, Olesen, Mark wrote:

> Hi Andreas,
>
>> Obvious solution is to enhance Olesen-FLEXlm integration so that it
>> controls token authorization based on resource quotas. Until now
>> it controls just the total token amount by adjusting capacities of
>> global consumables. Having it in addition control per userset
>> capacities should be doable.
>>
>> E.g. taking away the license token above from Laurel and Hardy could
>> be done with
>>
>>     qconf -mattr resource_quota limit license=0
>> license_authorization/2
>

> I'll have to get 6.1 installed to play around with this. In the meantime
> I'll just ponder it a bit.
>
> Would there be a benefit in using the qlicserver to somehow adjust the
> resource_quota as well?

Benefit is simply that one could fully control who will finally be
using the available licenses. With resource quotas access control can
be implemented based on user, groups of users, project, and groups of
projects. As a matter of course this should go hand in hand with
capturing license demands based on the very same categories as to make
it a sound solution.

> I would have thought that adjusting the global consumable provides the first
> resource restriction and other requirements (hardware availability,
> resource_quotas, etc) would be applies afterwards.

That is correct. But there is still a difference between global/host/queue/PE
consumables and resource quotas. Just configuring a quota on a complex
resource is not sufficient to make jobs run that request the resource.
As in 6.0 it is still always necessary to have the actual resource
capacity somewhere available: Assigning quotas on non-existing resources
is rather pointless.

> What I can imagine is that if the available resources drops drastically, say
> from 100 licenses to 10 licenses, that it would be good to adjust the
> resource_quota accordingly.

Resource quotas surely can also be used just for lowering common shares,
but having complete control on resource utilization would also have it's
charme.

Regards,
Andreas