[GE users] two network cards per node

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Fri Aug 10 17:22:45 BST 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 10:13 -0600, Nicolas Bock wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> we have two network cards installed per compute node (which all have
> two CPUs). We would like to make sure that the grid engine utilizes
> both of them for MPI traffic. We are unclear however how to exactly
> achieve this. We put the two network cards on separate subnets due to
> hardware restrictions. When we start sge_execd it binds to the first
> IP address and does not appear to use the second one.

Gridengine will give you a PE_HOSTFILE which has hostnames (and
therefore IP Addresses) of the primary network interface.
You'll need a custom PE start script which will take this file and
change the names to the names (or IP addresses) of your secondary
interfaces and feed this as a machines file to your mpirun command.

>  Can we tell it to bind one slot to each network card?

I <it> suppose </it> you could have two PEs - one which does the above
address munging, one which does not, the use PEs with round_robin

As usual, someone with a clue will be along in a minute.