[GE users] reservations?

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Fri Aug 10 20:26:08 BST 2007

Hi,

Am 10.08.2007 um 18:10 schrieb Brian Pontz:

> Sometimes our grid users need to run big memory jobs. Because of this
> only 2 jobs can run on a node instead of the normal 4. How would
> this be
> specified? Can a user specify this when submitting a job?

you could make the complex virtual_free consumable (with a default of
you choice in the complex definition) and set it on each node to the
amount of installed RAM -100 MB or so. If the user then requests the
proper amount of memory, SGE will take care of this and schedule not
too many jobs to each node. As this is only a hint for SGE, an
alternative would be to make this instead with h_vmem, and the memory
limit will be enforced.