[GE users] Question About Scheduler Node Preference

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue Aug 14 20:25:46 BST 2007

Am 14.08.2007 um 18:32 schrieb Jon Forrest:

> I've been asked to see if there's a way to configure
> SGE so that jobs are scheduled to run on in the
> following order of preference:
>
> 1) Cores on the same multi-core processor
> 2) Cores on the same multi-processor node
> 3) Everything else

Which core is used inside a multi-core processor can easily be
overridden by the user AFAIK, although it could be set up in Linux
with cpu_affinity.

How slots are allocated from different machines in the cluster, you
can setup in the PE definition in "allocation_rule". The manpage
sge_pe will explain the various options. One thing to add to select
hosts is this entry:

http://blogs.sun.com/sgrell/date/20050405

for your serial jobs, to keep combined slots free on nodes for
parallel jobs on each host.

(@Stephan: the formatting vanished on this page - at least in Safari
and Firefox)

-- Reuti