[GE users] host_not_found line in messages file

Shannon V. Davidson svdavidson at charter.net
Tue Aug 14 22:47:33 BST 2007

Brett,

SGE doesn't need to contact the host - it just needs to resolve the
hostname to an IP address.  Just add a dummy entry for the hostname
(with any IP address) in /etc/hosts and verify the hostname can be
resolved using the $SGE_ROOT/utilbin/<arch>/gethostbyname.  Once you've
done that, you can totally delete the host from SGE using the commands
in the attached script.

Shannon

Brett_W_Grant at raytheon.com wrote:

> It was only the admin host when I installed sge.  Then I removed it
> from the admin hostlist.  The machine is dead.  I can't even get it to
> boot.  Can I uninstall it from the qmaster without being able to
> contact the host?
>
> Thanks,
> Brett Grant
>

> *Reuti <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de>*
>
> 08/14/2007 12:05 PM
> Please respond to
> users at gridengine.sunsource.net

> 	users at gridengine.sunsource.net
> cc
>
> Subject
> 	Re: [GE users] host_not_found line in messages file
>

> Am 14.08.2007 um 20:19 schrieb Brett_W_Grant at raytheon.com:
>
> > I had a computer die on me.  Anyway, every 40 seconds or so, the
> > message gethostbyname took 24 seconds and returns HOST_NOT_FOUND
> > appears in the message file.  I deleted the host out of the
> > hostlist and execution hostlist, but I still get the message.  Is
> > there a way to stop it?
>
> Is this host still an admin host? Maybe you first have to add this
> host again to /etc/hosts or your DNS, then remove it completely from
> SGE, and then it should be safe to remove it again from your lookup
> service.
>
> -- Reuti

Shannon V. Davidson <svdavidson at charter.net>
Senior Software Engineer               Appro
636-633-0380 (office)     443-383-0331 (fax)

    [ Part 2: "Attached Text" ]