[GE users] gridengine via Apple launchd framework

Barry McInnes Barry.J.Mcinnes at noaa.gov
Thu Aug 16 14:49:25 BST 2007

Hi Chris,
I wish you luck, and if you need any testing we can help out. I tried to
get a launch script going with 10.4.x, with tests for other services
running, and time delays, but eventually gave up. I havn't revisited it
for a long time, as I now run a cron job on each Mac, which works all
the time.

barry

On 8/13/07 4:42 PM, Chris Dagdigian wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Eventually this will be a topic for the dev mailing list but I don't
> have anything concrete enough yet so I'm posting here for feedback and
> more eyeballs.
>
> I've been messing around for a while now with seed versions of the new
> Apple 10.5 ("Leopard") server release and this includes making sure SGE
> will install and run correctly when OS X 10.5 is released.
>
> One of the big (and nasty) changes is that it seems that Apple has
> followed through with it's threat to deprecate the SystemStarter
> framework which is what SGE currently uses to create boot scripts for
> grid engine on OS X systems.  SystemStarter is nice and it allows us to
> easily do things such as wait on SGE startup until DNS, network and NFS
> are present and running.
>
> Things don't look that good for the future -- launchd is pretty horrible
> for the type of services that Grid Engine falls into. There is no clean
> way to handle ordering the startup of network services and no real
> provisions for handling 3rd party applications that take "start" and
> "stop" arguments. If you read the apple documentation and online docs
> about this sort of thing there is a pretty arrogant expectation that
> developers will simply rewrite their binaries to understand launchd IPC
> messages or otherwise play nicely with the framework. There are also not
> many good examples or tutorials online yet for our sort of
> persistant-daemons-that-have-strong-dependencies category.
>
> To get my head around launchd I ended up fooling around this afternoon
> seeing if I could get Grid Engine to start/stop cleanly under the
> launchd framework.
>
> The proof of concept works but it is pretty brittle. I wrote up the
> experiment here:
>
> http://wiki.gridengine.info/wiki/index.php/GridEngine_launchd
>
> Comments or improvements to the wiki are welcome - hopefully we can find
> a sensible way to live with launchd and can code come new functionality
> into the SGE installer scripts at some point.
>
> -Chris

---
Barry McInnes
325 Broadway