[GE users] Fair Share Formulas

Fri Aug 17 16:06:02 BST 2007

Hermann,

There is no formula for calculating the tickets.  It's an iterative
algorithm that is highly dependent on situation and configuration.
Unfortunately, we don't have any clear documentation of the algorithm.
If you don't mind reading source code, it's all contained in the
gridengine/source/libs/sched/sgeee.c file.

There are some specific situations when the algorithm reduces to a
formula.  For more information about those situations, check out the
policy section of the class I delivered at Georgetown:

https://www.middleware.georgetown.edu/confluence/display/HPCT/Advanced+Sun+Grid+Engine+Configuration+and+Administration

A wise, old Grid Engine engineer once told me that the policy system in
Grid Engine isn't meant to be calculable on paper.  It's more of a
steering wheel than an exact setting.  You can adjust the behavior by
tweaking the values, but don't expect to be able to get predictable numbers.

Daniel