[GE users] Logrotate for 'reporting' File

Thu Aug 23 12:31:09 BST 2007

Hi Graham,

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007, Graham Jenkins wrote:

> I finally discovered that I can use 'logchecker.sh' for rotating my
> 'accounting' file. What I also need to do is rotate my 'reporting' file.

Ok.

> Is there a way that I can accomplish this without impacting Globus jobs
> which might be in progress?

I doubt this could impact Globus in any way. At least the reporting file
is rather Grid Engine specific, so I'd be really surprised if Globus
were accessing it.

Only component that could access it is the dbwriter whose task
is to feed the ARCo database with reporting file information.

That means as long as you haven't installed ARCo, you can savely
implement some rotating the way you like; ideally by enhancing
logchecker.sh.

Whereas if you have ARCo installed, reporting file rotation would ideally
be performed by dbwriter itself. Otherwise it could happen, that your
rotation mechanism anyhow interferes with dbwriter actions. Actually
dbwriter got a mechanism for automated deletion of outdated database
records that stem from reporting file, but unfortunately I can not tell
you whether that it affects also the reporting file in a related fashion.

Regards,
Andreas