[GE users] Logrotate for 'reporting' File

Jana Olivova Jana.Olivova at Sun.COM
Thu Aug 23 13:51:53 BST 2007

Hi All,

Just to elaborate on the DBW and reporting file. If DBW is installed and
ran, it reads the reporting file (first it renames it to
reporting.processing), processes the file reporting.processing and
deletes it. While the DBW is processing the reporting.processing the
qmaster generates another reporting file since that does no longer
exist. So, trying to somehow manipulate (rotate) the reporting file will
result in loss of data. If DBW is running the reporting file is being
continuously consumed by DBW.

The deletion rules are located in the dbwriter.xml file, located in
$SGE_ROOT/dbwriter/database/<db_name>

Regards,

Jana Olivova

Andreas.Haas at Sun.COM wrote:
> Hi Graham,
>
> On Thu, 23 Aug 2007, Graham Jenkins wrote:
>
>> I finally discovered that I can use 'logchecker.sh' for rotating my
>> 'accounting' file. What I also need to do is rotate my 'reporting' file.
>
> Ok.
>

>> Is there a way that I can accomplish this without impacting Globus jobs
>> which might be in progress?
>
> I doubt this could impact Globus in any way. At least the reporting
> file is rather Grid Engine specific, so I'd be really surprised if
> Globus were accessing it.
>
> Only component that could access it is the dbwriter whose task
> is to feed the ARCo database with reporting file information.
>
> That means as long as you haven't installed ARCo, you can savely
> implement some rotating the way you like; ideally by enhancing
> logchecker.sh.
>
> Whereas if you have ARCo installed, reporting file rotation would ideally
> be performed by dbwriter itself. Otherwise it could happen, that your
> rotation mechanism anyhow interferes with dbwriter actions. Actually
> dbwriter got a mechanism for automated deletion of outdated database
> records that stem from reporting file, but unfortunately I can not
> tell you whether that it affects also the reporting file in a related
> fashion.
>
> Regards,
> Andreas

    [ Part 2: "Attached Text" ]