[GE users] Dynamic multicore requests

John Coldrick jc at axyzfx.com
Thu Aug 23 16:01:18 BST 2007

	Hi there, currently running 6.0u10 on Linux systems...

	We're recently started acquiring multicore systems(with 8 cores per machine)
that are being mixed up with older dual-cpu/single core systems.  We have an
application we want to run that is threaded, and the number of threads can be
specified(from "1" to "max").  Typically many hundreds or thousands of these
submissions happen at once.

	I'd like to maximize the render power, which to me means(for example) running
typically one job per system and maxing out the cores/cpus on that one task.
The trouble I'm running into it that while I can specify pe's or break out
queues, the approach appears more like a hardwired approach i.e.  a given
submission needs to be *defined* as wanting max cores, or perhaps 1 or 2.  If
I do that, then that job only runs on(say) an 8-core pe.  What would be
perfect is to submit the task, get some sort of feedback about the ececute
host it's running on("I have 5 slots open!" - an envar?), and then that value
is fed to the app, telling it to use 5 threads, and those slots are taken and
reserved by SGE.

	At least that's my personal take on how to do that, but I don't think that's
possible.  :)  Any suggestions, documentation-pointing or solutions
appreciated.

	Cheers,

	J.C.

                                                     Toronto, ON Canada
Excess on occasion is exhilarating.  It prevents moderation from
acquiring the deadening effect of a habit.
		-- W. Somerset Maugham