[GE users] Running unimportant jobs on idle CPU's and tempora rily freeing slots for real jobs

Olesen, Mark Mark.Olesen at emcontechnologies.com
Tue Aug 28 07:52:03 BST 2007

> Not sure if this has been asked, but is there a way for jobs to run
> itself when the CPU is idle from real jobs?  For example, when nobody
> is
> launching any jobs, the Sun Grid Engine will launch my Folding at home or
> Seti at home jobs on idle CPU's.  Then when a real user comes and submits
> his or her job, the Sun Grid Engine will suspend (or kill) the
> folding at home or seti at home job and free up the slot so the user can
> execute their job.  Then when the user's job is done, Sun Grid Engine
> will automatically resume the state of the Folding at home job until the
> next user needs to submit their job, hopefully with little or no human
> interaction.

You could try with having another queue defined on all of the hosts. For
fun, we'll call it 'yaq' (yet another queue). If the 'yaq' is made
subordinate on 'normal', it will be suspended when 'normal' is being used.
It just remains to define a suitable suspend_method for the 'yaq' queue or
have the job itself catch the stop signal (see '-notify' in qsub(1)) and
return 99 to have the job re-queued.
The final bit of configuration would be to define a forced complex (eg,
'suspendable') and attach it to the 'yaq'. This should prevent normal jobs
from inadvertently going to your special queue.
It would also be good to assign your suspendable jobs a very low priority to
keep them a bit out of the way.

With a bit of playing about, you should get it working.

/mark
This e-mail message and any attachments may contain legally privileged, confidential or proprietary Information, or information otherwise protected by law of EMCON Technologies, its affiliates, or third parties. This notice serves as marking of its ?Confidential? status as defined in any confidentiality agreements concerning the sender and recipient. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this e-mail message from your computer.