[GE users] Dynamic multicore requests

John Coldrick jc at axyzfx.com
Wed Aug 29 17:17:37 BST 2007

On Thursday 23 August 2007 20:06, Daniel Templeton wrote:
> Have you considered using the $pe_slots setting for the PE and
> submitting your jobs with a range of 1 to 8?  That way all of the slots
> will be assigned to a single machine, and the scheduler will put the job
> on the biggest machine it can find.  If, however, only a single-core
> machine is available, it'll take that as a last resort.

	thanks Daniel, and sorry for getting back so late, I was RTFM...:)

	Yup, that works just great using wildcard friendly PE's, like:

	MyPE_1
	MyPE_2

	with the number in the name matching the number of required cores, and
requesting them with '-pe MyPE_*', which will grab the system with the most
cores available.  Also, I'm able to pass $NSLOTS to the program that's being
run to tell it how many threads to use.  Works a treat!

	Cheers,

	J.C.

                                                     Toronto, ON Canada
Excess on occasion is exhilarating.  It prevents moderation from
acquiring the deadening effect of a habit.
		-- W. Somerset Maugham