[GE users] Running SGE as user "sge" on AIX

Olesen, Mark Mark.Olesen at emcontechnologies.com
Thu Aug 30 14:28:41 BST 2007

> Running sge as user "sge" is working perfectly for us and all our
> users
> can submit jobs under their own uid:s.
>
> sge_execd is running as "sge" on all our linux exec-hosts and daemons
> are started by "root" and probably setuid after initial execution as
> you
> see below.

This looks fine. We have a similar setup (but using a generic 'cfdadmin'
user instead of a dedicated 'sge' user). The only slight problem is that you
might need to use ssh for connections (if the GridEngine rsh binary is also
on the NSF mount).

> The problem is that the "spool" directory is on NFS (root squished)
> and
> therefore root will have problems writing to that directory.

This is one of our reasons too. Our exec spools are local, but the qmaster
spool is nfs-mounted.

> Trying to start sge_execd on aix - as sge - wont work since the low
> port 537+536 are restricted for users like sge.

Why are you (still) using these ports?
The canonical ports:

	sge_qmaster     6444/tcp   # Grid Engine Qmaster Service
	sge_execd       6445/tcp   # Grid Engine Execution Service

wouldn't give you such problem.

/mark
This e-mail message and any attachments may contain legally privileged, confidential or proprietary Information, or information otherwise protected by law of EMCON Technologies, its affiliates, or third parties. This notice serves as marking of its ?Confidential? status as defined in any confidentiality agreements concerning the sender and recipient. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this e-mail message from your computer.