[GE users] GE approach question

Mon Dec 3 16:15:09 GMT 2007

Hi Mikhail,

actually there are cases when Grid Engine is used to start/stop virtual machines
as to react on workload situation, but in most of these cases the workload is
as simple as a batch job. In your case workload appears to be less coarse-grained
since you got abstract services to be started and stopped. I guess it could be
relatively easy to use Grid Engine batch jobs as proxies for a running/pending
Apache/MySQL/Postgres/etc instances, but just lauching new identical services
instances does not yet get you any load balancing.

Regards,
Andreas

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007, Mikhail A. Pokidko wrote:

> Hi all,
> Excuse me for possibly lame question but didn`t find any suitable
> answers in maillist archive or google.
>
> We`ve got ~200 OpenVZ virtual private servers with
> Apache/MySQL/Postgres/etc in each.
> Shortly i`d like to know can i use GridEngine cluster to run 2 or more
> identical vpses to reduce per-vps load?
> In my vision such load reduce can be combined with som kind of high
> availability. My dream is to provide failover and
> parallelling task just adding some more vpses (OpenVZ vpses seems to
> be more suitable to control cpu/memory load then bare host machine).
>

> --
> ALTLinux Team
> xmpp: solar AT solar.net.ru

http://gridengine.info/