[GE users] GE approach question

Mon Dec 3 18:08:40 GMT 2007

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007, Mikhail A. Pokidko wrote:

> On Dec 3, 2007 7:15 PM, wrote:
>> Hi Mikhail,
>>
>> actually there are cases when Grid Engine is used to start/stop virtual machines
>> as to react on workload situation, but in most of these cases the workload is
>> as simple as a batch job. In your case workload appears to be less coarse-grained
>> since you got abstract services to be started and stopped. I guess it could be
>> relatively easy to use Grid Engine batch jobs as proxies for a running/pending
>> Apache/MySQL/Postgres/etc instances, but just lauching new identical services
>> instances does not yet get you any load balancing.
>
> Hm, ok, then load balancing should be architecture aspect only.

Well, maybe we should better clarify what we mean with "load balancing".
My concept of it is that application requests get more or less evenly
distributed to the two/three/many Apache/MySQL/Postgres/etc instances.
Achieving such a distribution requires at least certain
cooperation of your application platform so that requests get
intelligently routed somehow. Grid Engine surely could be used to
(un-)register a new Apache/MySQL/Postgres/etc instance when it is launched/
stopped, but it can not magically intervene into application request routing.

Actually, if the application requests that go to the servers were halfway
coarse-grained there could be a chance to direct each transaction as
a job through Grid Engine as to implement the load balancing, but usually
Apache is deployed as web-server which means many, many tiny requests.

> I`ll check what benefits GE will bring in our situation neverthless.
> Thank you for the reply.
>
> P.S.: Maybe you know any other solutions for such situation? ;-))

Sorry no. Actually I would expect/assume Apache server already to
have at least with some poor-mans load balancer for web requests that
could be controlled externally, but this is definitely not my construction
site ;-)

Regards,
Andreas