[GE users] Reg: Interactive jobs on windows execution host

Harald Pollinger Harald.Pollinger at Sun.COM
Tue Dec 4 08:13:28 GMT 2007


    [ The following text is in the "ISO-8859-15" character set. ]
    [ Your display is set for the "ISO-8859-10" character set.  ]
    [ Some special characters may be displayed incorrectly. ]

manju a wrote:
> Hi Harald,
> 
> yes i tired this invoking notepad.exe ,if i do qstat it will show like
> in below n keep struck at the running mode no output i can see in the
> execution host
> 
> ------------------------------
> 2108 0.55500 cmd.exe         user       r     12/03/2007 09:34:30 all.q at testwin
> 21                1
> 2109 0.55500 cmd.exe    user       r     12/03/2007 09:34:30 all.q at testwin
> 21                1
> 2113 0.55500 cmd.exe    user     r     12/03/2007 09:38:30 all.q at testwin
> 
> command i run look like this
> 
> qsub -l display_win_gui=1 -b yes -shell no -l hostname=testwin -P testpro
> /dev/fs/C/WINDOWS/system32/cmd.exe /c "c:\WINDOWS\notepad.exe"

Please try

# qsub -l display_win_gui=true -b yes -shell no -l hostname=testwin -P 
testpro /dev/fs/C/WINDOWS/notepad.exe

Does this work?
Which version of SGE are you using?

Regards,
Harald


> 
> is it any thing wrong in the above command.i used backslash also.
> please let me know if its any thing worng in the command.
> 
> thanks
> Manju
> 
> 
> 
> 
>                 1
> 
> On 12/3/07, Harald Pollinger <Harald.Pollinger at sun.com> wrote:
>> manju a wrote:
>>> Hi Harald,
>>>
>>> i tried to follow your steps wht u have given but GUI window not coming !!!!
>>>
>>> i am trying to execute the command like this
>>>
>>> qsub -l display_win_gui=1 -b yes -shell no -P myproj
>>> /dev/fs/C/windows/system32/cmd.exe "c:\\script\myscript.bat"
>> I didn't test it, but I think this will fail. "cmd.exe" needs a "/c"
>> option, and the path needs double backslashes.
>>
>>
>>> myscript.bat looks like this
>>>
>>> @echo off
>>> c:
>>> chdir C:\cygwin\bin
>>> bash --login -i -c "calc"
>>> ;end
>> Does this run if started directly from the Windows command prompt?
>>
>>
>>> This batch script should invoke calc window but not doing any thing.
>>> can u please let us know some sample script that will invoke GUI
>>> window an windows execution host, that will helps a lot.
>> Use simple batch scripts first, that just start Windows binaries like
>> calc.exe or notepad.exe. If this works, go on and try to start Cygwin
>> binaries. A sample is:
>>
>> ----------------------------------------------
>> C:\Windows\notepad.exe
>> ----------------------------------------------
>>
>>
>> Regards,
>> Harald
>>
>>
>>> thanks for your help n replay's
>>>
>>> Manjunath A.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> On Dec 3, 2007 12:27 PM, manju a <manju.kudu at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>> thanks for the replay harald
>>>>
>>>> 1) Is it possible to submit a batch script to windows execution host
>>>>>> in which it will invoke the number of  Gui window??
>>>>> Sorry, I don't understand this question. You want to submit a Windows
>>>>> batch script (a .bat file) to the Windows execution host. What exactly
>>>>> shall this batch script do?
>>>> please find it below in detail
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> " i m submitting a script, that script will open the n number of GUI
>>>> window" that type jobs can we submit to windows execution host ? if
>>>> possible how we can set the display n options in the qsub option
>>>>
>>>> thanks
>>>> manjunath A.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On Nov 30, 2007 6:17 PM, Harald Pollinger <Harald.Pollinger at sun.com> wrote:
>>>>> manju a wrote:
>>>>>> Hi,
>>>>>>
>>>>>> 1) Is it possible to submit a batch script to windows execution host
>>>>>> in which it will invoke the number of  Gui window??
>>>>> Sorry, I don't understand this question. You want to submit a Windows
>>>>> batch script (a .bat file) to the Windows execution host. What exactly
>>>>> shall this batch script do?
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>> 2) is it possible GUI window output should reflect to user one who
>>>>>> submitting the job or it should run where that session exists??
>>>>> A Windows GUI window can only be opened on the screen of the execution
>>>>> host. There is no GUI redirection like in Unix' X Window system.
>>>>>
>>>>> Let me explain why this "show GUI" option was built in SGE:
>>>>> It doesn't make sense to submit interactive Windows GUI applications to
>>>>> SGE, so normally it wouldn't be neccessary to provide a way to let a
>>>>> Windows application show it's GUI. However, there are Windows
>>>>> applications that either run as an interactive GUI application or in an
>>>>> automated mode, depending on the command line switches. In the automated
>>>>> mode they just read input files, do their work, write output files an
>>>>> quit. While they are working, they show in their GUI what they are
>>>>> currently doing. They still need to open their GUI and would fail if it
>>>>> wouldn't be possible to open the GUI.
>>>>> That's why I had to write the "SGE Helper Service" that allows
>>>>> applications that were started by the background execution daemon to
>>>>> connect to the (foreground) screen. Opening a GUI in the background is
>>>>> not possible on Windows.
>>>>>
>>>>> You could redirect the whole screen of the execution host to the user,
>>>>> using Windows' Remote Desktop or (IMHO better) a VNC server on the
>>>>> execution host. But this is completely independent of SGE.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>> please let me know if its possible how we can set the display n options in qsub.
>>>>> With SGE 6.1 (and higher), if the execd is installed correctly, just
>>>>> request the resource "display_win_gui=1" when submitting the job:
>>>>> # qsub -l display_win_gui=1 -b yes -shell no /dev/fs/C/...../app.exe
>>>>>
>>>>> Regards,
>>>>> Harald
>>>>>
>>>>>> thanks
>>>>>> Manjunath A.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe at gridengine.sunsource.net
>>>>>> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help at gridengine.sunsource.net
>>>>>>
>>>>> --
>>>>> Sun Microsystems GmbH         Harald Pollinger
>>>>> Dr.-Leo-Ritter-Str. 7         N1 Grid Engine Engineering
>>>>> D-93049 Regensburg            Phone: +49 (0)941 3075-209  (x60209)
>>>>> Germany                       Fax: +49 (0)941 3075-222  (x60222)
>>>>> http://www.sun.com/gridware
>>>>> mailto:harald.pollinger at sun.com
>>>>> Sitz der Gesellschaft: Sonnenallee 1, D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
>>>>> Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028
>>>>> Geschaeftsfuehrer: Thomas Schroeder, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Boemer
>>>>> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Martin Haering
>>>>>
>>>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe at gridengine.sunsource.net
>>>>> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help at gridengine.sunsource.net
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe at gridengine.sunsource.net
>>> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help at gridengine.sunsource.net
>>>
>>
>> --
>> Sun Microsystems GmbH         Harald Pollinger
>> Dr.-Leo-Ritter-Str. 7         N1 Grid Engine Engineering
>> D-93049 Regensburg            Phone: +49 (0)941 3075-209  (x60209)
>> Germany                       Fax: +49 (0)941 3075-222  (x60222)
>> http://www.sun.com/gridware
>> mailto:harald.pollinger at sun.com
>> Sitz der Gesellschaft: Sonnenallee 1, D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
>> Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028
>> Geschaeftsfuehrer: Thomas Schroeder, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Boemer
>> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Martin Haering
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe at gridengine.sunsource.net
>> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help at gridengine.sunsource.net
>>
>>
> 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe at gridengine.sunsource.net
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help at gridengine.sunsource.net
> 


-- 
Sun Microsystems GmbH         Harald Pollinger
Dr.-Leo-Ritter-Str. 7         N1 Grid Engine Engineering
D-93049 Regensburg            Phone: +49 (0)941 3075-209  (x60209)
Germany                       Fax: +49 (0)941 3075-222  (x60222)
http://www.sun.com/gridware
mailto:harald.pollinger at sun.com
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Sonnenallee 1, D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Thomas Schroeder, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Boemer
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Martin Haering

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe at gridengine.sunsource.net
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help at gridengine.sunsource.net




More information about the gridengine-users mailing list