[GE users] flexlm and node-locked licences

Olesen, Mark Mark.Olesen at emcontechnologies.com
Wed Dec 5 09:21:24 GMT 2007

Hi Jan,

> would it be possible to alter the requested number of licences after a
> job is started ?
> That would correspond to reality, that a job on a node locked machine
> does not consume a licence ...

I agree that this is what you want (or need) for *this* case, but you are
not allowed to alter this request after the resources have been granted.
Otherwise slightly less honest or competent users would completely mess up
the internal accounting.

Have you thought about staging the job?

Assuming the job starts with '-l lic=1'.
Within the job script, you determine if the job specified 'lic=1' but is
actually running on host with node-locked licenses (we'll call them
licNodeLock).
Eg,
    SGE_SINGLE_LINE=1 qconf -se $HOST | sed -ne 's/^complex_values *//p

If the job script is running on such a host, you could spawn off a second
job that has '-l licNodeLock=1' instead. This job would target the same
host, perhaps with a second queue?
The first job would then exit. To ensure that the second-job starts
immediately, you could assign a very high urgency to the licNodeLock
complex.

One drawback of this solution is that a floating license is always acting as
a gatekeeper to the node-locked licenses.

/mark
serves as marking of its ?Confidential? status as defined
message from your computer.