[GE users] HPC Consortium '07 Presentations now Online

Wed Dec 5 15:54:42 GMT 2007

In 6.2, coming middle of next calendar year, the mechanism for launching
interactive jobs has been rewritten.  With 6.1 and previous, an
interactive job is started by submitting an rshd as a job and then
forking an rsh to connect to it.  (Or rlogin or telnet or ssh.)  With
6.2, starting an interactive job means that the shepherd will fork a
shell with a PTY and connect back to the qrsh client, no rsh/rshd
involved.  (With Grid Engine, the slave tasks for a parallel job are
started via the interactive job mechanism.)

There are several important benefits to the new mechanism.  First, no
more rlogin port limits.  Second, SGE certificate-based security will
actually encrypt the communication streams of interactive jobs.  Third,
no more worries about whether your rlogin/rsh/ssh binaries are "tightly
integrated" with Grid Engine.  Fourth, you actually get a PTY.  Etc,
etc, etc.  :)

Daniel