[GE users] keep nodes out of all.q

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Dec 6 15:53:22 GMT 2007

Zitat von Brad Sickler <basickler at ucdavis.edu>:

> Reuti wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Zitat von Brad Sickler <basickler at ucdavis.edu>:
>>
>>> I think the answer to this shouldn't bet too complicated and I'm sorry
>>> if it's already been asked but I couldn't find it.
>>>
>>> How do you keep compute nodes out of all.q when they re-kickstart? That
>>> is, I have a multiple nodes I'm setting up on the cluster that are in
>>> sge but I want to keep them out of all.q and keep them in a custom
>>> queue. I set this up and everything works fine until they reinstall.
>>> How can I stop them from getting reinserted whenever the power goes out?
>>> I'd appreciate any advice.
>>
>> what do you mean with re-kickstart - to reinstall them all the time
>>  when you reboot the nodes?
>>
>> -- Reuti

> Sorry, I posted to the sge list and the rocks list at the same time
> without really specifying things on the e-mail enough. On a rocks
> cluster anytime the nodes don't shutdown gracefully and go through the
> rocks reinstall they are re-added into as @allhosts default queue as
> well as appended to all.q I just wanted to prevent this.

So it is a ROCKS oddity, that there should be an option not to go
through the complete installation procedure (something like "init 0"
will not give a proper shutdown in ROCKS?). If all is setup one time
correctly, I would suggest to install ROCKS further on without SGE at
the kick-restart. Then, when the node is up and the $SGE _ROOT is
available on any of the mounted file systems from the server, just
start:

$SGE_ROOT/default/common/sgeexecd start