[GE users] Job submission from Tomcat

Mon Dec 10 16:10:44 GMT 2007

The problem is that the user id is not known on the machine where your
job is being run.  The Grid Engine shepherd process tries to change its
user to the submitting user, but if the user doesn't exist, the system
call fails.  The only way to make that work is to have the submitting
user exist on all the execution hosts.

For a discussion of how to submit jobs as a different user from DRMAA, see:

http://blogs.sun.com/templedf/entry/specifying_a_username_with_drmaa

The reason for the NoResourceUsageException is that the job failed
before it began, so Grid Engine wasn't able to gather any resource usage
data.  The fact that you're seeing that exception means that you're
using an older version of Grid Engine.  In the 1.0 DRMAA binding, that
exception went away and is replaced by JobInfo.getResources() just
returning null.  As you and we discovered, if a job fails before it
starts, that exception prevents you from getting any other useful data
about the job.

Daniel