[GE users] PE's and wildcards

Todd.Henderson at L-3Com.com Todd.Henderson at L-3Com.com
Mon Dec 17 14:46:32 GMT 2007

Thanks.

But the problem is that I need a different number of slots for each pe,
so for mpi1 lets say, the job needs 4, but if it goes into mpi2, it need
6 maybe, etc.

Todd

-----Original Message-----
From: Friedrich.Ferstl at sun.com [mailto:Friedrich.Ferstl at sun.com] On
Behalf Of Fritz Ferstl
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2007 7:53 AM
To: users at gridengine.sunsource.net
Subject: Re: [GE users] PE's and wildcards

You can submit a job using a command like that:

qsub -pe mpi* 4 job.sh

assuming that you have at least one PE configured which has a name
beginning with 'mpi'. If you've more then one then all of the become
eligible for the job.

There's some fancy things you can implement with that, such as policy
awareness ... (placing jobs on nearest neighbor nodes) ...

Cheers,

Fritz

Jesse Becker wrote:
> Daniel Templeton wrote:
>> Todd,
>>
>> You can wildcard the resource request, but not the PE.  You might be
>> able to work out some kind of epilog or starter method that can look
>> for the job's evil twin and delete it before the job runs, letting
>> you submit the same job with different requirements and make sure
>> that only one runs.
>
> Are you sure about that?  I could have sworn that you could use
> wildcards in PEs at one point, perhaps in the 5.3 series.  This was
> really useful for having two PEs that covered different groups of
> compute nodes, across two physical switches, for example.
>
> <rummage, rummage>
>
> AH!
>
> http://gridengine.info/articles/2006/02/14/grouping-jobs-to-nodes-via-
> wildcard-pes

Sun Microsystems GmbH         Fritz Ferstl
Dr.-Leo-Ritter-Str. 7         Director Grid Engineering
D-93049 Regensburg            Phone: +49 (0)941 3075-110 / x60110
Germany                       Fax: +49 (0)941 3075-222 / x60222
http://www.sun.de             mailto:ferstl at sun.com
Registered Office / Sitz der Gesellschaft:
    Sun Microsystems GmbH
    Sonnenallee 1
    D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
    Germany
Commercial register of the Local Court of Munich /
Handelsregistereintrag Amtsgericht Muenchen:
    HRB 161028
Managing Directors / Geschaeftsfuehrer:
    Thomas Schroeder, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Boemer Chairman of the
Supervisory Board / Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates
    Martin Haering

For additional commands, e-mail: users-help at gridengine.sunsource.net