[GE users] rsh/ssh question

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Fri Dec 21 22:02:21 GMT 2007

Hi,

Am 21.12.2007 um 21:44 schrieb Sean Davis:

> We are working on installing SGE (6.1) on a group of linux boxes.
> We have kerberos in place that results in passwordless login with
> ssh.  How can I configure SGE to use ssh instead of attempting rsh,
> etc?  As an aside, is there a better way to do this in a kerberized
> environment?

there is only a difference for parallel applications. But also for
these you can still use rsh, if you setup your applications to use a
plain rsh instead of /usr/bin/rsh, so that SGE's rsh-wrapper will be
used (when you have a Tight Integration of your parallel
applications). This will operate on a random selected port and only
be started by SGE - one daemon for each qrsh. There is no need to
have rshd running all the time.

If you setup ssh to allow only admin-staff to login to the nodes in /
etc/sshd/sshd_conf and disable rsh in /etc/xinet.d/rshd completely,
you can still run parallel apps this way.