[GE users] specifying ports for rsh?

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Fri Feb 2 21:14:59 GMT 2007

Hi,

Am 02.02.2007 um 19:21 schrieb Ian Meyer:

> Greetings everyone!
>
> I've been poking around all over the place and can't seem to put my
> finger on anything, so I figured I'd give the list a shot...
>
> Currently, if I run something via qrsh, it uses a random(ish), very
> high port number to send the command out. We changed our config so
> that it sends via ssh instead of rsh, but it still uses a port
> number in the vicinity of 55000.
>
> Is there a documented range of ports it will use, or better yet, a
> way to configure it to just go out over the standard port?

for each qrsh a separat sshd is started. This way SGE can keep track
and control of the started task on a node. Going with the standard
port wouldn't allow this. Which daemon would be addressed by which
ssh-call? Using ports you can direct one ssh exactly to one sshd on a
node. And furthermore (if you use the default rsh) it's a little bit
of security, as the port is random and wait for a dedicated login
within a timeframe.