[GE users] job requests unknown resource

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Sun Feb 4 21:43:07 GMT 2007

Am 02.02.2007 um 22:58 schrieb Adrian Lang:

>>> actually, the h_fsize host value is supplied by a costum load
>>> sensor, so I
>>> cannot add a default value, or?
>>
>> Don't get the things mixed:
>>
>> - A default value (for the consumption) is set in the complex
>> definition. As h_fsize is FORCED, you don't need one.
>>
>> - You defined h_fsize as consumable - so consume from which inital
>> amount? This is set in the exec host definition in "complex_values".
>>
>> You can either remove the consumable attribut or add the inital
>> amount in the exechost definition. It's indeed possible to use a
>> complex as a consumable and a load sensor at the same time. The lower
>> of the calculated/reported values is used.
>>
>> -- Reuti
>
> I meant "initial value", not "default value", you're right.
> However, an
> initial value wouldn't be useful. I would expect the SGE to subtract
> actual declared consume from the reported value, like
>
> 100G (reported h_fsize for the host) - 60G (requested h_fsize for
> job 1
> running on the host) - 20G (requested h_fsize for job 2 running on the
> host) = 20G remaining for pending jobs.

No, this will not happen. The reported value and the consumed value
are two different things - the only combination is to take the lower
amount of both. Why would you like to implement such a behavior? I
could only think of a different size of the installed disks in
different machines for which you would like to automate the setting
of the correct value, but then you could use a short script to set
the correct value (according to the installed disk) in the shell like:

qconf -mattr exechost complex_values hfsize=`ssh node01 geth_fsize`
node01