[GE users] License accounting - same IP only uses one?

Daire Byrne Daire.Byrne at framestore-cfc.com
Tue Feb 6 16:04:22 GMT 2007

We were considering using SGE to prioritise interactive jobs and the resulting license usage. We want to Q interactive apps to run as licenses become available giving preference to high priority users. I know how to do most of this but a special license usage case has me a little stumped. I can run an interactive job on my local machine using qrsh and use a license complex resource "-l lic=1" to use up a license in SGE but what if I run another qrsh job on my machine which uses up the same license? In other words how can I get SGE to account for floating licenses that are used per IP/MAC as opposed to per running instance? Our users would like to run multiple instances of apps on their machines but only have one license accounted for in SGE. As each app closes SGE only revokes the license once the last one closes. I can't think of any clever ways to get SGE to allow for this so was thinking that some sort of load sensor/Olesen license server parsing would be required.

Any help or suggestions anyone may have would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Daire