[GE users] power off execution hosts

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Tue Feb 6 23:52:58 GMT 2007

Just shutting off the nodes should work fine as long as you have a
method of making sure there are no running jobs on the node you are
going to power down.  Using this method, your queue instances would
appear in state "au" for 'alarm, unreachable' while the nodes are
powered off. When you restart the nodes, if SGE comes up cleanly on
the client then the 'au' state will automatically clear and the nodes
will be able to accept jobs.

If you wanted to script this a bit more you could just use 'qmod -d'
to "disable" particular queue instances.  The scheduler will not send
jobs to nodes that are in the disabled state "d". This method allows
you to distinguish between systems you have actually disabled and
systems that may have crashed or otherwise be having problems. The
only glitch is that state "d" is persistent -- you'll have to script
in the qmod command to re-enable the nodes.

-Chris