[GE users] Re: License accounting - same IP only uses one?

Daire Byrne Daire.Byrne at framestore-cfc.com
Thu Feb 8 10:34:01 GMT 2007

Mark,

First of all may I thank you for your flicserver scripts - I looked at them yesterday and had it up and running as expected in minutes. Great work! We don't need to use the munge_license() function because our license server does correctly report one license in use for multiple instances on the same host. So I can run ten instances of the package on my machine and FlexLm reports that I have one license checked out for this host. Unfortunately our batch jobs which also use some of these licenses go through another Qing system which slightly complicates matters - but as SGE doesn't have the ability to count license per host/queue are always going to have to use your flicserver idea. The problem I see is that if I start two interactive jobs on my localhost through SGE and use lic=1 for each SGE thinks I have 2 licenses out. Now your flicserver corrects for this and updates the overall count so that others can use the available licenses. However when I close one of my instances SGE's counter gets incremented by one even though I havn't actually released my license yet. If another scheduling run occurs before flicserver updates the complex then another Q'd intercative job will attempt to run and get a license error.

Perhaps if flicserver always ran in step with scheduling runs (ie right before) then this race condition wouldn't exist? I hope my description of the problem is a little clearer now? Thanks for your feedback!

Daire