[GE users] h_vmem, virtual_free

Sean Dilda sean at duke.edu
Fri Feb 23 21:51:24 GMT 2007

Heywood, Todd wrote:
> Thanks, Sean. That is helpful.
>
> I am still left wondering why this vmatch program runs fine outside of
> SGE with an unlimited stack size on a 2GB node, but requires "setting"
> the stack size ulimit to 4G via h_vmem (or h_stack) on that 2GB node, in
> order for it to run as an SGE job there.

What does ulimit show the limit being in your SGE job when you don't set
'h_vmem'?

> Aside: Trying "ulimit -Hs 4194304" in the submit script, rather than
> using h_vmem=4G, gives: "ulimit: stack size: cannot modify limit:
> Invalid argument", although that command successfully changes the stack
> ulimit when run outside of SGE.

Correct.  Only root can raise or remove the limits.  A user can lower
their own limits though.   If SGE automatically sets a limit, then your
subprocess won't be able to raise that limit.   Outside of SGE you
probably have an infinite limit, so it lets you impose a lower limit on
yourself.