[GE users] resource reservation

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Mon Feb 26 15:23:55 GMT 2007

This may not be optimal but this is how I usually approach the
general problem of "some applications need 100% exclusive use of a
node when they run ..."

(1) Create a parallel environment called "greedy"
(2) Make sure the greedy PE is configured with allocation_rule=$pe_slots
(3) Attach/associate the greedy PE to the cluster queues or queue
instances you care about
(4) Restrict access to this PE via userlists and xuserlists if you
need to restrict access

Then your special users or applications can submit jobs this way:

  $  qsub -pe greedy=4 /path/to/my/job/script.sh

... the end result is that users requesting "greedy=4" will get
exclusive access to a node since the allocation rule "$pe_slots"
mandates that the requested slots MUST be within one physical
machine.  Running with greedy=4 also has the side effect of consuming
all 4 job slots on the machine so this means that other users and
tasks will be locked out for the duration of your special job run.
When your greedy job exits, all 4 slots are released or unlocked
again for general use.

Regards,
Chris