[GE users] apache, grid engine and cgi

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Tue Feb 27 16:36:12 GMT 2007

We do this all the time (SGE jobs submitted as the 'www' user via
perl CGI's ...)

A random thought that may help ...

Having tons of jobs on the cluster running as user "www" can be
difficult on the resource allocation policy, especially if you are
trying for a fairshare-by-user behavior. One thing that we've done in
the past is to create SGE project objects that are named after
specific users. Then, the perl script running as user 'www' adds the
"-P <usernam>" parameter to the qsub argument. The end result is that
we can do per-user resource allocation simply by getting our project
based resource allocation policies working correctly. Using project
objects is also helpful if your web users do not actually have unix
user accounts on the system in question.

I haven't seen a general perl module for qsub, it would be
interesting to see. In practice though its not all that hard to get
the CGI/qsub interaction working.

Regards,
Chris