[GE users] apache, grid engine and cgi

Tue Feb 27 16:38:22 GMT 2007

Hi Davide,

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007, Davide Cittaro wrote:

> Hi there, some people here are planning to develop a cgi perl script for
> their purposes. This script launches long analyses on some files and they
> would like to use a batch queue. Since everything here is running with sge
> (607 and 608), I've told them to read the sge docs.
> Now I have to care about some "best practices":
> 1- since the cgi script will submit a job to sge, is it safe to add the www
> (or httpd or apache2...) user to sge users?

As far as Grid Engine is concerned it shouldn't be a problem.
The actual question probably is whether the jobs can finally
be run under such a user. If the launched jobs do read/write
on data that is owned by regular users it will certainly cause
problems and could cause in unappropriate constraints.
If that is the case these people should wrap the submission
with some procedure that does a setuid(2).

> 2- since the perl script has to call "qsub", are you aware of a perl module
> that can do this? I would prefer to avoid "system" command at all...

I suggest these people to have a look at the Perl DRMAA binding.
In theory it should do anything they need. Please find it under
"programming interfaces" in

    http://gridengine.sunsource.net/documentation.html

Regards,
Andreas