[GE users] I need help badly.

Dan Gruhn Dan.Gruhn at groupw.com
Tue Feb 27 19:50:05 GMT 2007

Trey,

 From a command line on the host you are having problems with, type
"hostname".  This should give you that actual name of your host, not
something like "localhost" or "localhost.localdomain".

Also, try entering "/gridware/sge//utilbin/<architecture>/gethostname"
and see what it gives you.

As for the permission denied problems, remember that you need to be
logged in as the "root" user to do these installs on your linux system.

In any case, please use the most up-to-date version of SGE to save
headaches.

Dan

P.S. If you write me back, please let me know what those commands above
gave as their output.

Trey wrote:
> Also, use ".  /gridware/sge/<cellname>/common/setting.sh" in your sge.sh
> > script  to set up your SGE environment and verify that
> > /etc/profile.d/sge.sh is being executed.  The "dot" syntax is important
> > because is causes the shell to execute the script without forking a
> > sub-shell, allowing for the script to change variables in the current
> > environment.
>

> I am not sure even where to begin with that.  I am just now learning
> linux and want to get this up so we can test a new version of our
> software.  We use a windows based DNS/DHCP  and all the linux servers
> are reserved using the mac address.  I can ping them using the name
> and/or IP address of the machine.
>

> Dan Gruhn wrote:
>> Trey,
>>
>> You need to have proper host names and IP address to make SGE work,
>> localhost.localdomain won't do it.  Check your /etc/hosts file or
>> your DNS server to find out why SGE is getting localhost.localdomain
>> for the hosts.
>>
>> Also, use ".  /gridware/sge/<cellname>/common/setting.sh" in your
>> sge.sh script  to set up your SGE environment and verify that
>> /etc/profile.d/sge.sh is being executed.  The "dot" syntax is
>> important because is causes the shell to execute the script without
>> forking a sub-shell, allowing for the script to change variables in
>> the current environment.
>>
>> Dan
>>
>> Trey wrote:
>>> I need major help.  I am desperately tring to install grid engine as
>>> a cluster software package on 3 servers that run cent OS.  I have
>>> unpacked it and added a script /etc/profile.d/sge.sh  It sets a path
>>> to the executables and a set a var of SGE_ROOT as /gridware/sge.
>>> When I try to run a script to add a host I get:
>>>
>>> [root at centos1 exec_hosts]# qconf -ah centos2.hyper.com
>>> critical error: Please set the environment variable SGE_ROOT.
>>>

>>> Also when I try to reinstall the qmaster I get:
>>>
>>> I get all sort of permission denied and unable to resolve
>>> localhost.localdomain.
>>>

>>> How can I fix this?
>>>

>>> Setting.sh
>>>
>>> [root at centos1 common]# less settings.sh
>>> SGE_ROOT=/gridware/sge; export SGE_ROOT
>>>
>>> ARCH=`$SGE_ROOT/util/arch`
>>> DEFAULTMANPATH=`$SGE_ROOT/util/arch -m`
>>> MANTYPE=`$SGE_ROOT/util/arch -mt`
>>>
>>> unset SGE_CELL
>>> unset COMMD_PORT
>>>
>>> if [ "$MANPATH" = "" ]; then
>>>    MANPATH=$DEFAULTMANPATH
>>> fi
>>> MANPATH=$SGE_ROOT/$MANTYPE:$MANPATH; export MANPATH
>>>
>>> PATH=$SGE_ROOT/bin/$ARCH:$PATH; export PATH
>>> shlib_path_name=`$SGE_ROOT/util/arch -lib`
>>> old_value=`eval echo '$'$shlib_path_name`
>>> if [ x$old_value = x ]; then
>>>    eval $shlib_path_name=$SGE_ROOT/lib/$ARCH
>>> else
>>>    eval $shlib_path_name=$SGE_ROOT/lib/$ARCH:$old_value
>>> fi
>>> export $shlib_path_name
>>> unset ARCH DEFAULTMANPATH MANTYPE shlib_path_name
>>>

>>> SGE.sh ( A file to make sure it is running when started)
>>>
>>> [root at centos1 common]# less /etc/profile.d/sge.sh
>>> SGE_ROOT=/gridware/sge
>>> PATH=$PATH:$SGE_ROOT/bin/lx24-amd64