[GE users] SGE questions

Rayson Ho rayrayson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 23:07:10 GMT 2007

On 2/28/07, john.li at mindspeed.com <john.li at mindspeed.com> wrote:
> I'm new to SGE and trying to deploy SGE to replace LSF.

Good :)

> 3.  It seems that if I use -b y in the qsub  command, I MUST specify the
> full path
> for the binary executable or it is in the current working directory.   SGE
> doesn't
> use the $PATH variable to locate the binary executable.   But SGE will use
> $PATH
> to locate a script if I use -b n for a script.   Is there a reason for this
> behavior?

Shouldn't it be the other way around??

"-b n" tells qsub that the job is a script, and SGE will look for the
job script in the current directory or the location specified at qsub
time.

"-b y" tells qsub that the job is a binary program, and SGE will not
spool the binary to the master machine. Since the location of the
binary can be different with different OSes/architectures, recording
the path does not make sense.

I've just tested on my cluster and that's the behavior... and I
believe it has something to do with POSIX 1003.2d (standard for batch
queuing systems).

* also note that LSF does not spool the job script or the binary at bsub time.

Rayson