[GE users] meaning of 256 error code...

Thu Jul 5 18:15:36 BST 2007

 From /Programming Perl/:

  Note that this [$?] is the status word returned by the wait(2) system
call, so the exit value of the subprocess is actually ($? >> 8).

If $? is 256, the backticked command is exiting with exit code 1.  Could
it be something simple like a space in $sge_base_path or
$sge_job_script_name?  Maybe when you print $submit_status, if it's
non-zero you should also print $tmp_batch_id so you can see what the
failure message is.

BTW, with 6.1u1, you can use qsub -terse, and skip having to parse out
the job id.

Daniel

    [ Part 2: "Attached Text" ]