[GE users] Job Re-schedule based on incoming users to pending queue

Fred Youhanaie fly at anydata.co.uk
Fri Jul 6 10:52:45 BST 2007

Kyle Halberstam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Apologize if this has been covered.

I think it has been, but not always easy to find the thread!

> I am administering a GE 6 system. I have got several users.
>
> Is there a way, using the policies or however, to suspend/kill a
> *running *job,
> re-schedule it back into the *pending* queue based on incoming users to the
> pending queue.
>
> I.E. If one user is using/running all licenses of a given software (suppose
> 10 jobs) but a new user submits his jobs to the pending queue, I want to
> kill/suspend 5 of the first users running jobs and put them back into the
> pending queue so that the new incoming users can get 5 jobs running right
> away. The users will all be equally entitled (have the same num of
> functional tickets for example).

For manual intervention, you can suspend or reschedule a job with
"qmod -sj" or "qmod -rj" respectively, see man page for details.

However, you can only reschedule a job if it is re-runnable, i.e.
submitted with the '-r y' flag.

Suspending a job will not free up slots, or licenses if they are being
managed via SGE.

For doing this with policies and restrictions, have a look at the
resource quotas.

HTH

Cheers
f.