[GE users] question regarding queue host preferences.

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Mon Jul 9 14:59:49 BST 2007

Oded Haim-Langford wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I was wondering, is it possible to affect the order in which queue hosts
> are chosen for job execution.
>
> I read in the manual that the default is the host with minimum load, can
> I change this default?
>

> For example I wish a queue would match its 64bit machines before its
> 32bit machines, is it possible?

Yes. We configure this by default on our clusters. We use this to 'node
pack' serial jobs, leaving hosts clear as possible for parallel jobs.

For each host in a queue, you can set "seq_no"
Or indeed for a hostgroup you can set "seq_no"

So for you:

seq_no=0,[@32bithosts=1],[@64bithosts=2]

Then use qconf -msconf to set
queue_sort_method      seqno