[GE users] question regarding queue host preferences.

Olesen, Mark Mark.Olesen at emcontechnologies.com
Mon Jul 9 15:04:59 BST 2007

> I was wondering, is it possible to affect the order in which queue hosts
are chosen for job execution.
> I read in the manual that the default is the host with minimum load, can I
change this default?

with 'qconf -msconf' ( or equivalent in qmon ), you can change

	queue_sort_method  seqno

> For example I wish a queue would match its 64bit machines before its 32bit
machines, is it possible?

The easier here is to use host groups and assign lower sequence numbers for
the 64bit machines.
Eg,

1) host group '@allmachines' => machine1 machine2 ... machineN
2) host group '@faster'      => machine10 machine12 ...

In your queue definition:

qname                 myqueue
hostlist              @allmachines
seq_no                500,[@faster=100]

Note that only the relative value of seq_no is irrelevant. Indexing by
hundreds (or thousands) just leaves lots of room for any adjustment.

/mark

This e-mail message and any attachments may contain legally privileged, confidential or proprietary Information, or information otherwise protected by law of EMCON Technologies, its affiliates, or third parties. This notice serves as marking of its ?Confidential? status as defined in any confidentiality agreements concerning the sender and recipient. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this e-mail message from your computer.