[GE users] Sort by sequence number question

Lönroth Erik erik.lonroth at scania.com
Tue Jul 10 10:24:24 BST 2007

Hello!

I have setup "sort by sequence number" for my cell, in "cluster configuration" - this is because I want a few specific nodes in my cluster to be "considered in last hand" when assigning jobs.

Lets say I have 10 nodes, where the first 2 nodes are to be considered last. I have assigned them a sequence number "99" (just a high value) specifically in the cluster queue "short.q". Regardless of how I set this sequence number - the nodes I wan't to be considered last still gets included.

The nodes I want to be "considered last" are "MASTER" nodes, thats why I don't want any additional jobs running on them - unless there is absolutely nessesary.

This is the queue situation where ts101-1-0 has a higher sequence number then ts101-1-1 (considered last?):

master.101.q at ts101-1-0.sss.se. BIPC  0/1       0.00     lx26-amd64
short.101.q at ts101-1-1.sss.se.s BIPC  0/4       0.00     lx26-amd64
short.101.q at ts101-1-0.sss.se.s BIPC  0/4       0.00     lx26-amd64

My PE is configured as:
pe_name           generic_pe
slots             9999
user_lists        NONE
xuser_lists       NONE
start_proc_args   /opt/gridengine/apps/start_generic_pe.sh $pe_hostfile
stop_proc_args    /opt/gridengine/apps/stop_generic_pe.sh
allocation_rule   $fill_up
control_slaves    FALSE
job_is_first_task TRUE
urgency_slots     min

----- At submit time -----
When I submit a job (asking for 1 MASTER + 4 SLAVES) and no other specific requirements:

    qsub -masterq master.*.q -pe generic_pe 5 basic-4-slots.sh

Now - I would expect ts101-1-0  - NOT to have any SLAVES allocated to it. BUT!

---- The allocation map -----
qstat -t

    176 0.55500 nano       sssler       r     07/10/2007 11:16:38 master.101.q at ts101-1-0.sss.se. MASTER
    176 0.55500 nano       sssler       r     07/10/2007 11:16:38 short.101.q at ts101-1-0.sss.se.s SLAVE
                                                                  short.101.q at ts101-1-0.sss.se.s SLAVE
                                                                  short.101.q at ts101-1-0.sss.se.s SLAVE
                                                                  short.101.q at ts101-1-0.sss.se.s SLAVE

What am I doing wrong here? I want the situation to look like this (but it doesn't)

    176 0.55500 nano       sssler       r     07/10/2007 11:16:38 master.101.q at ts101-1-0.sss.se. MASTER
    176 0.55500 nano       sssler       r     07/10/2007 11:16:38 short.101.q at ts101-1-1.sss.se.s SLAVE