[GE users] Consumable variable : one license per job

Olesen, Mark Mark.Olesen at emcontechnologies.com
Wed Jul 11 12:02:26 BST 2007

>  The application requires to be limited on two consumable
variables(licenses) : one parallel license(LIS1)
> per node and one license(LIS2) per job.

>  So if I fire a job with 10 parallel streams it should use 10 LIS1s and
one LIS2.

>  I tried to run qsub like this
>    qsub -N TEST -q all.q -pe mpich 10 -l LIS2=1,LIS1=10 /home/some.job
/home/TEST

You need to specify the resource per slot.

You need '-pe mpich 10 -l LIS2=0.10,LIS1=1'

Be careful with rounding!!!!

Eg, if you requested '-pe mpich 6 -l LIS2=0.1667' the total requirement is 6
* 0.1667 => 1.0002, and the job will not run if LIC2=1 is available.

There is an RFE for this issue, but I don't think it has been resolved.
For now, you'll have to take care of calculating the resource requirements
within a wrapper script.

Truncating after 6 digits seems to works well enough.
Here's a Perl snippet:

#
# resource per cpu - in-place truncation to 6 decimal places
#
sub rc_per_cpu {
    my $nslot = shift or return;
    for (@_) {
        /^[.\d]+$/ or next;    # only modify numerical
        $_ = sprintf "%.7f", $_ / $nslot;
        chop;
        s{\.?0*$}{};           # drop trailing zeroes
    }
}

/mark
This e-mail message and any attachments may contain legally privileged, confidential or proprietary Information, or information otherwise protected by law of EMCON Technologies, its affiliates, or third parties. This notice serves as marking of its ?Confidential? status as defined in any confidentiality agreements concerning the sender and recipient. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this e-mail message from your computer.