[GE users] queue definition

Thu Jul 12 16:05:49 BST 2007

To reiterate what Reuti said, what you probably want to do is have 2
queues per host. The first queue are the queue you already have
configured. The second queue is dedicated to your special user. The
second queue should be configured to have only one slot per host and an
ACL that only allows your special user to use it.

By default, Grid Engine does not share the job slot count among queues.
That means that if you have three queues on a host, and each queue has
two job slots, then that host could potentially run six jobs at the same
time. If you want to share the job slots among your queues, you set the
_slots_ consumable at the exechost level. (If you need more details,
ask.) That trick makes it possible in the above 3x2 example to limit the
total number of running jobs to 2 (or 3 or 4 or whatever), regardless of
the total slots count of the queues.

If you already have more than one queue, or if you plan to have more
than one queue other than your special queue, you'll probably want to
use the above trick with your existing queues. If you use that trick,
however, when you add your special queue, that queue's slot will count
against the host's total job count, i.e. it won't allow a job to run
regardless of the other jobs on the host. In this case, instead of using
the above trick, you should consider looking into resource quotas to
solve your problem.

Daniel