[GE users] qrsh and terminal settings workaround

John Tseng jtseng at montalvosystems.com
Sun Jul 15 06:59:24 BST 2007

For those who are using qrsh and would like to maintain some sort of
readline based terminal settings, you can use rlwrap to overlay gnu
readline.

http://utopia.knoware.nl/~hlub/rlwrap

We originally looked at using the ssh instead of the builtin sge rsh, to
be "tty/ptty compliant" but decided not to.  A smart person at our
company pointed us at rlwrap and now at least have a readline capability
with our qrsh jobs.  (Don't try any stty settings though!)

rlwrap qrsh  <some interactive EDA program>

(We actually have a front end wrapper around qrsh so we don't even need
to tell our users this :)

-john

 From the README

  rlwrap

rlwrap is a 'readline wrapper' that uses the GNU readline library
<http://cnswww.cns.cwru.edu/%7Echet/readline/rltop.html> to allow the
editing of keyboard input for any other command. Input history is
remembered across invocations, separately for each command; history
completion and search work as in bash and completion word lists can be
specified on the command line.