[GE users] Runtime Design Automation?

Mon Jul 16 15:59:28 BST 2007

Hi Rod,

I just uploaded the outcome of a proof-of-concept I worked on in 2005

    http://gridengine.sunsource.net/files/documents/7/145/juggler_0_91.tar.gz

although it is a very rude script solution, but I blieve it does what
you ask for. It consists of two bourne-sh building blocks:

(1) The 'juggler_remote' script is launched repeatedly via rsh as to (a) measure
each clusters license demand by simply parsing qstat output (b) measure how
many license are in use at a time and (c) adjust the amount of global licenses
for a cluster.

(2) The 'juggler' script is the component that decides how many licenses shall be
available at each cluster. It's decision is based on license utilization and
demand of each cluster and a set of simple policies. Policies are simply
kept a 'gobal_policies' file and per-cluster 'policies' files and essentially
allow three different parameters can be specified for each license

     * the maximum amount available enterprise-wide
     * the minimum amount that shall always be available at a local
       cluster irrespective of the actual load situation
     * the maximum amount as an upper limit for each local cluster

actual heart component of the 'juggler' is a small C program (schedule.c) which
that a round robin license assignment. Actually I had liked to write it also in
bourne-shell, but then it turned out to be too complicated.

In terms of boundary conditions the only requirement is that some kind of rsh
can be run from the host where 'juggler' runs to hosts where 'juggler_remote'
is run for each cluster.

In case of local cluster maintainace shutdown 'juggler_remote' neither can
retrieve new information about license demand/utilization nor is it possible to
apply the most recent license share entitlement to the cluster. The same is true
in case of partial network outages. License juggler tries to take that into
account by assuming the most recent information about license demand/utilization
still would be valid. Aside of this license juggler simply continues operation to
ensure license sharing amongst reachable clusters is not interrupted.

Regards,
Andreas

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007, Rod.Rebello at Microchip.com wrote:

> I think you misunderstood.  We also use your qlicserver to monitor license usage at each site so global licenses aren't oversubscribed.  However, we want to manage the license queuing globally across sites with some form of fair share allocation strategy.  Right now, we can only do this on a local basis.  We don't want any one site to monopolize the licenses.  We have sites in India, USA, and Europe sharing the same licenses.  RTDA says they have a configurable multiqueuing capability that will fairly allocate the licenses across grid sites.
>
> - Rod

http://gridengine.info/

Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Marcel Schneider, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Boemer

    [ Part 2: "Attached Text" ]