[GE users] Arco slows system down

Jana Olivova Jana.Olivova at Sun.COM
Tue Jul 17 10:01:24 BST 2007

Hi John,

First, sorry for the late reply, but I was on a vacation. You can stop
the dbwriter ($SGE_ROOT/$SGE_CELL/common/sgedbwriter stop). While the
dbwriter is shutdown the data will be written in the reporting file but
the file will not be processed and thus no data will be inserted in the
database. Once, the dbwriter is started all the data from the reporting
file will be inserted (no loss of data occurs).

However, I would not recommend stopping dbwriter for too long (nightly
updates should be acceptable), because there has been some problems with
the deletion rules when dbwriter is stopped for longer periods of time
(depends on amount of data). See Isuezilla (2284) for more info. This
bug is fixed in the 6.1u1 release.

Hope that helps.

Jana Olivova

John Mc-Nicholas XJ (GU/ETL) wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I have Arco and sql databases running on a File Server.
> Arco tool works well but slows the whole sytem down.
>
> Arco doesn't need to be up to date all the time - only really at the
> end of each month.
>
> If I switch Arco/ db writer / sql database off for some time they will
> update from grid once I switch them back on - ie no data will be lost?
>
> Or is there a way to configure so it updates overnight - when the
> system isn't busy.
>
> Thanks
>
> John
>
> */John Mc Nicholas/*
>
> *STE/SEA Support Engineer*
> *BETE Test Plants South*
> *UK *
>
> Phone: +44 (0) 1483 305458
> Email:_ john.xj.mc-nicholas at ericsson.com_
> Address: Ericsson,  Midleton Gate, Guildford Business Park, Guildford,
> Surrey, GU2 8SG , UK
>
> /Ericsson Limited/
> /Registered Office: Unit 4, Midleton Gate, Guildford Business Park,
> Guildford, Surrey, GU2 8SG/
> /Registered Number in England and Wales: 942215/
> /This communication is confidential and intended solely for the
> addressee(s). Any unauthorised review, use, disclosure or distribution
> is prohibited. If you believe this message has been sent to you in
> error, please notify the sender by replying to this transmission and
> delete the message without disclosing it. Thank you.
> Ericsson Limited does not enter into contracts or contractual
> obligations via electronic mail, unless otherwise agreed in writing
> between the parties concerned.
> E-mail including attachments is susceptible to data corruption,
> interruption, unauthorised amendment, tampering and viruses, and we
> only send and receive e-mails on the basis that we are not liable for
> any such corruption, interception, amendment, tampering or viruses or
> any consequences thereof./

    [ Part 2: "Attached Text" ]