[GE users] Runtime Design Automation?

Tue Jul 17 14:32:15 BST 2007

Hi Mark,

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007, Olesen, Mark wrote:

> Hi Andreas,
>
>> (2) The 'juggler' script is the component that decides how many
>> licenses shall be
>> available at each cluster. It's decision is based on license
>> utilization and
>> demand of each cluster and a set of simple policies. Policies are
>> simply
>> kept a 'gobal_policies' file and per-cluster 'policies' files and
>> essentially
>> allow three different parameters can be specified for each license
>
> I don't know it this would do what Rod was looking for, but the juggler idea
> could fit quite nicely with the qlicserver stuff.

Oh yes!

> The integration should be quite doable. There are just some minor handling
> issues - eg, the juggle site 'max' value corresponds to the qlicserver
> 'limit' value, and it might be better to hand off control to the qlicserver
> instead of adjusting directly.

You see the qlicserver as correspondent for the juggler_remote script?
Sounds reasonable, but juggler_remote does more than only adjusting.
It's current tasks are

    * changing number of available licenses based on decision made by license juggler
    * retrieving per cluster information about current license demand
    * retrieving per cluster information about current license utilization

btw. I just put more information on License Juggler to the community wiki

      http://wiki.gridengine.info/wiki/index.php/LicenseJuggler

Regards,
Andreas