[GE users] Runtime Design Automation?

Olesen, Mark Mark.Olesen at emcontechnologies.com
Tue Jul 17 15:49:40 BST 2007

> Sounds reasonable, but juggler_remote does more than only adjusting.
> It's current tasks are
>
>     * changing number of available licenses based on decision made by
> license juggler
>     * retrieving per cluster information about current license demand
>     * retrieving per cluster information about current license
> utilization

For the integration, I would collapse juggler_remote utilized+required
together. They would pull back a block either similar to what is already
being cached:

<accounting>
rc_limit        gtpower=4,starcd=26,stars=2
rc_total
abaqus=12,foam=40,gtpower=7,nastran=3,starcd=28,starjob=4,starp=24,stars=4,t
homat=0
rc_extern
abaqus=0,foam=0,gtpower=2,nastran=0,starcd=3,starjob=0,starp=0,stars=3,thoma
t=0
rc_intern
abaqus=6,foam=0,gtpower=1,nastran=0,starcd=24,starjob=3,starp=24,stars=0,tho
mat=0
rc_managed
abaqus=12,foam=40,gtpower=4,nastran=3,starcd=25,starjob=4,starp=24,stars=1,t
homat=0
available
abaqus=6,foam=40,gtpower=3,nastran=3,starcd=1,starjob=1,starp=0,stars=1,thom
at=0
</accounting>

Adding a rc_wait entry would provide the last bit of information.

For translation purposes:
  rc_limit  => max
  rc_intern => utilized
  rc_wait   => demand?

The juggler_remote could even just pull back the entire license.cache,
without any processing, and let the juggler/schedule parse out what it
needs.

# query
    [rs]sh $MACHINE cat MYPATH/license.cache

For sending the adjustments back, the jugger_remote could simply write a
resource limits file.

# assign
    echo limits | "[rs]sh $MACHINE cat > MYPATH/license.limits"

At the moment, the limits are hard-coded, but a future version of qlicserver
will then consult the values in license.limits when adjusting the licenses.

I think it should work quite well. The juggler and juggler_remote would be
greatly simplified. A bit of work is adjusting the scheduler for parsing new
input. But the juggler could address this or I could have a go at rewriting
the scheduler.c in Perl.

Is it safe to assume that you'll be at the workshop too?

/mark
This e-mail message and any attachments may contain legally privileged, confidential or proprietary Information, or information otherwise protected by law of EMCON Technologies, its affiliates, or third parties. This notice serves as marking of its ?Confidential? status as defined in any confidentiality agreements concerning the sender and recipient. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this e-mail message from your computer.