[GE users] Sort by sequence number question

Tue Jul 17 16:20:49 BST 2007

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007, Paul MacInnis wrote:

>> I did this with N1GE 6.1
>>
>> Could it be that jobs are submitted with -soft option as to specify some
>> preferece? Or are you using some over-sensitive load thresholds?
>
> This is a pretty good duplication of our setup here. However on your
> "qsub" you use "-q test_*" to select a domain of queues for the
> scheduler.  We don't use -q at all, the scheduler chooses cluster
> queues as it pleases.

I used the "-q test_*" just to exclude other queues and the -q option
has no impact on order of queue consideration.

> So I would claim that by default the scheduler
> considers 1 cluster queue at a time to satisfy a request and only
> looks at additional cluster queues if no instance satisfies.

Wrong claim. The scheduler considers one queue instance after the
other. Cluster queues play no role at all with the order of
consideration. If you don't believe me, I'll be happy to proof
it with source code :-)

> Try something that doesn't select queues by name, perhaps a
> resource request that allows you only on these test queues.

That is pointless. Queue selection does not play into the order
of consideration. All it does is filtering. Really ;-)

That means there must be something different with your setup.
For that reason I sent you these questions with my last mail:

(1) Could it be that jobs are submitted with -soft option as to specify some
     preferece?
(2) Or are you using some over-sensitive load thresholds?

Andreas