[GE users] Sort by sequence number question

Lönroth Erik erik.lonroth at scania.com
Thu Jul 19 15:07:45 BST 2007

1. I'm using 6.0u8.

2. I completely re-installed one of my SGE cells and did only the minimal configuration required to make it possible to run a "sleep 60" job.

3. I set "sort by seq no"

bash-3.00$  qconf -ssconf | grep seq
queue_sort_method                 seqno

4. I configure the queues as follows:

bash-3.00$ qstat -F | egrep "seq|@"
master.101.q at ts101-1-0.sss.se. BIP   0/1       0.00     lx26-amd64
        qf:seq_no=0
short.101.q at ts101-1-1.sss.se.s BIP   0/4       0.00     lx26-amd64
        qf:seq_no=0
short.101.q at ts101-1-0.sss.se.s BIP   0/4       0.00     lx26-amd64
        qf:seq_no=99

5. I have "$fill_up" in my "PE" and as you see here, the queues are configured with the PE.

bash-3.00$ qconf -sq master.101.q | egrep "pe_list"
pe_list               make powerflow_ts101_pe
bash-3.00$ qconf -sq short.101.q | egrep "pe_list"
pe_list               make powerflow_ts101_pe

6. I manipulate the host I wan't to be considered last e.g. ts101-1-0:

bash-3.00$ qconf -sq short.101.q | egrep "hostlist|seq_no"
hostlist              ts101-1-0.sss.se.scania.com ts101-1-1.sss.se.scania.com
seq_no                0,[ts101-1-0.sss.se.scania.com=99]

bash-3.00$ qconf -sq master.101.q | egrep "hostlist|seq_no"
hostlist              ts101-1-0.sss.se.scania.com
seq_no                0

7. I submit the sleep-job, asking for 2 slots with that PE. It is dispatched, but not as I would think it would.

bash-3.00$ qstat -t
19 0.55500 slot-alloc sssler       r     07/19/2007 16:02:51 master.101.q at ts101-1-0.sss.se. MASTER
19 0.55500 slot-alloc sssler       r     07/19/2007 16:02:51 short.101.q at ts101-1-0.sss.se.s SLAVE

Apart from this - default configuration.

/Erik