[GE users] Simultaneous writing to output file

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Jul 19 19:49:40 BST 2007

Am 19.07.2007 um 20:04 schrieb John Coldrick:

> 	I've been tracking down a problem we've had lately where jobs are
> failing,
> and I have a quick question.  If multiple jobs running on the grid
> were to
> attempt to simultaneously write to the *same* .o file - is that
> something
> that SGE handles gracefully, or could it lead to trouble?  We've
> never had
> trouble with this before, but since increasing the number and speed
> of the
> systems online, I'm wondering if it's triggered a heretofore hidden
> problem.

If you are not interested in the output this might work, as it will
be appended all the time and you will get a full mix of different
jobs in this file (maybe without some lines - depends on the NFS
flushing). Best would be to append the job id to the name of the
output file:

qsub -o 'myout.$JOB_ID.out' myjob.sh

Notice the ' to avoid shell interpretation, unless you set this in
the jobscript in the #$ lines. This way you can reuse the same script
for all your jobs, and still get different output files.

-- Reuti