[GE users] SGE 6.1 and qsh failure

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Jul 19 20:41:35 BST 2007

Am 18.07.2007 um 17:51 schrieb Barry McInnes:

> Running SGE 6.1 and Mac X 10.4.10
> qlogin and qrsh work fine via the ql.sh script

You are running the commands from the X11 application, not the
terminal application - right?

> [mac27:~/SGE] bmcinnes% qlogin
> local configuration mac27.cdc.noaa.gov not defined - using global
> configuration
> Your job 34861 ("QLOGIN") has been submitted
> waiting for interactive job to be scheduled ...
> Your interactive job 34861 has been successfully scheduled.
> Establishing /usr/local/sge/ql.sh session to host
> mac54.cdc.noaa.gov ...
> [mac54:~] bmcinnes% exit
> logout
> Connection to mac54.cdc.noaa.gov closed.
> /usr/local/sge/ql.sh exited with exit code 0
> [mac27:~/SGE] bmcinnes% qrsh
> [mac61:~] bmcinnes% exit
> logout
> Connection to mac61.cdc.noaa.gov closed.
> [mac27:~/SGE] bmcinnes%
>
> But qsh always fails
>
> [mac27:~/SGE] bmcinnes% qsh
> error: local DISPLAY variable ":0.0" delivered with interactive job
> [mac27:~/SGE] bmcinnes% qsh -display mac27:0.0
> Your job 34860 ("INTERACTIVE") has been submitted
> waiting for interactive job to be scheduled ...
> Could not start interactive job.
> [mac27:~/SGE] bmcinnes%
>
>> From messages :
> 07/18/2007 09:42:25|qmaster|g5s1|W|job 34859.1 failed on host
> mac61.cdc.noaa.gov assumedly after job because: job 34859.1 died
> through
> signal TRAP (5)
>
> Is there an option to pass qsh through the ql.sh wrapper ?
> In the conf file I have tried rsh and qsh -
>
> qlogin_command               /usr/local/sge/ql.sh
> qlogin_daemon                /usr/sbin/sshd -i
> rlogin_command               /usr/local/sge/ql.sh
> rlogin_daemon                /usr/sbin/sshd -i
> qsh_command                  /usr/local/sge/ql.sh
> qsh_daemon                   /usr/sbin/sshd

You want a safe ssh connection to the node but then use an unsafe
direct X11 connection back?

AFAIK there is no qsh_command entry. qsh will just start the program
you set in the global (or node) configuration for "xterm /usr/bin/X11/
xterm". Often it's working to use just:

qrsh xterm

if you setup your ssh-wrapper in SGE to have the option -Y or put
this option in the global /etc/ssh/ssh_config or private ~/.ssh/
config like:

Host *
     ForwardAgent yes
     ForwardX11 yes
     ForwardX11Trusted yes
     Compression yes
     NoHostAuthenticationForLocalhost yes
     ServerAliveInterval 900

(and maybe it's of interest: optionally have on the Mac the http://
www.phil.uu.nl/~xges/blog/ssh running with the same options you could
even use a passphrase in your ssh-keys without the need to enter it
all the time. A good explanation for the use of the ssh-agent I found
here: http://www.unixwiz.net/techtips/ssh-agent-forwarding.html).